The ICAC at the Ukrainian CCI is included into the list of non-governmental organizations which are invited as observers to the sessions held by the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL).
The ICAC at the Ukrainian CCI was invited to participate as an observer in the forty-eighth session of the Commission which will be held from 29 June till 16 July 2015 in Vienna.
Pursuant to practice of UNCITRAL the invited international non-governmental organizations may attend the sessions of the Commission as observers and present the views of their organizations on matters where the organization concerned has expertise or international experience.
At its forty-eighth session the Commission plans to consider a range of issues in the area of arbitration, in particular:
- Consideration and provisional approval of revised UNCITRAL Notes on Organizing Arbitral Proceedings (1996).
At its forty-sixth and forty-seventh sessions, the Commission considered issues connected with the necessity of updating of the above Notes. As a result, the Secretariat was requested to prepare a draft of revised Notes. In this connection, at its forty-eighth session the Commission will have before it the reports of the work done and a note by the Secretariat containing the draft of revised Notes. The Commission expects to receive comment by States and organizations on the draft of revised Notes.
- Discussion of possible future work in the area of arbitration and conciliation, concerning primarily the issues of concurrent proceedings as well as other matters.
Regarding the issues of concurrent proceedings the Commission notes that at its forty-seventh session the Commission considered whether to mandate its Working Group II to undertake work in the field of concurrent proceedings in investment treaty arbitrations. The Commission agreed that the Secretariat should focus its work on treaty-based investor-State arbitration, without disregarding the issue in the context of international commercial arbitration. In this connection, at its forty-eighth session, the Commission will have before it a note by the Secretariat outlining the practical issues, various options available to address those issues, and the possible form of any instrument to be developed in that area.
- Consideration of issues connected with the establishment and functioning of the transparency repository with a view to realization of the Rules on Transparency in the context of treaty-based investor-State arbitration.
- An oral report will be presented on the Twenty-second Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot competition, the Twelfth Willem C. Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Moot and the Seventh International Commercial Arbitration Competition in Madrid.
At its session, the Commission will also consider issues regarding international trade, in particular:
- online dispute resolution;
- principles on Choice of law in international commercial arbitration;
- promotion of ways and means of ensuring a uniform interpretation and application of UNCITRAL legal texts;
- trends in the use of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Vienna, 1980), dedicated to its 35th anniversary.